U-First! is a proven and effective approach to working with people with dementia.Through dialogue and a case-based approach, learners will have more confidence in working with people with responsive behaviours. The goal of the U-First! Program is to offer training to care providers in how to improve the quality of the interaction between the formal care provider and the person living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. U-First! uses P.I.E.C.E.S.™ concepts in its training. P.I.E.C.E.S. is a best practice learning and development initiative that provides an approach to understanding and enhancing care for individuals with complex physical and cognitive/mental health needs and behavioural changes. The P.I.E.C.E.S. model helps us to understand the whole person.
- Understand the behaviour changes in a person with dementia.
- Flag possible changes seen in the person.
- Interact with skill and understanding.
- Reflect and report the behaviour.
- Support the person with dementia and their family caregiver.
- Learn how to involve the Team in caring for the person with dementia.